|Level of support||Moderate|
|Bootloader||Flash with |
|User LED(s)||PB12 (active LOW)|
|Voltage Regulator||RT9193-33 (DE=A1D) - Max 300 mA|
|Price (shipped)||2.15 USD|
- Buy a Black Pill
- Burn the bootloader
- Under 'Tools → Board' select "Generic STM32F103 series"
- Under 'Tools → Upload method' select "STM32duino bootloader"
- Select the correct COM port
- Open up the blink sketch, change the pin number to PB12
- Hit upload
It is also possible to upload sketches via UART and JTAG, though this will overwrite the bootloader.
Schematic and Design
Like the other pill boards, the design is closed source and the designer is unknown.
However, a File:Black Pill Schematic.pdf is available for this board.
Comparison with the Blue Pill
The Black Pill is similar to the more popular Blue Pill.
- STM32F103C8T6 32 bit ARM M3 microcontroller
- 4-pin ST-Link header
- No USB reset circuitry (reset over USB is still possible, though less reliable than the Maple Mini)
- Different pinout
- User LED on PB12
Advantages of the Black Pill
- All components are on one side of the board
- Stronger Micro-USB connector
- Mounting holes
- Ships with the correct pull-up resistor on PA12 for USB port
Advantages of the Blue Pill
- More widely available, and more widely used
- Slightly cheaper
- Vbat pin can be connected to a battery for the RTC. The black pill has Vbat hardwired to 3.3V.
- Shorter and narrower
- Black pill does not have a VIN pin, it can only be powered from USB or a 3.3 V source.